Reconnect is a Cwm Taff wide mentoring service delivered by trained volunteers who offer a 12 week mentoring contract. Clients are assisted in making a plan towards specific, life changing goals via small, achievable steps. The volunteer will walk alongside the client on their journey of achievement.
The aim of the project is to assist individuals aged 50+ who are lonely and isolated get “Reconnected” back into the community, building social interaction and networks by means of one to one support, interactive group activities and opportunities to learn or share skills.
- We accept self referrals and agency referrals where client consent has been given.
- Initial contact with client is made by telephone (within 3 days) to discuss if the service is appropriate for the client’s needs.
- A volunteer mentor is matched with the client according to skills, interests and hobbies so that there is a basis for engagement.
- The mentor works alongside the client on a one to one basis for a maximum of 3 months (12 weeks) and will assist the client in achieving the goals set out in the agreed plan. The mentor will support the client to problem solve any barriers which will build self-esteem and resilience, with the aim of individuals being more independent.
- As the mentoring relationship develops, trust and rapport is established, which will encourage clients to step outside of their comfort zone and try new activities. The client will be supported to access available groups and activities of interest.
We have set up activity taster groups throughout Merthyr Tydfil for clients who are not yet confident to attend established groups and activities.
In RCT, our volunteers are providing telephone support and are ready to open our activity groups once restrictions allow and community buildings re-open.
PLEASE NOTE, GROUPS ARE CURRENTLY ON HOLD, WE HOPE TO RE-INTRODUCE THEM AS SOON AS COVID RESTRICTIONS ALLOW
MONDAY – 50+ Activity Hub in Hope Chapel Basement – Town Centre (Disabled access and facilities,) 10am-12pm where we have a wide selection of activities including; creative crafts, decoupage, card making, puzzles, pyrography, back to baking, and a seating area for a chat and a cuppa with music.
– Dowlais Group at Dowlais Community Centre, 10:30am – 12pm.
– Bedlinog Group at Bethel Chapel, Mary Street, 10:30am – 12pm.
– Gurnos Group at Calon Las Community Hub, 10:00am – 12pm.
Volunteer Roles Available
Please complete and return the volunteer application
For further information or to request a referral form, please contact the Reconnect Project Co-ordinator, Helen McShea on (01685) 353999 or email email@example.com