Comets & Rockets offers therapeutic support for children and young people (3-15yrs) who have experienced or witnessed domestic abuse.
The effects of domestic abuse on children can include:
- Feeling anxious and fearful
- Hyper vigilance
- Experiencing negative impact on their confidence, self esteem and overall emotional development and well-being.
- Poor social skills
- Aggressive and/or challenging behaviour
Group sessions to improve children’s:
- Understanding of domestic abuse/ healthy relationships
- Express their feelings
- Communication within their family unit
- Confidence and well-being
The group sessions are delivered for 2 hours each week, over a six week period. All content and materials are age appropriate. Parents join the group for the last ½ hour of the sessions.
Weekly ‘1-1’ Play Therapy sessions last approximately one hour and are held at the Teulu MAC and other suitable community venues for a minimum of 15 sessions. This period may be extended after review with the child and parent/carer.
Child Parent Relationship Mentoring
A 10 week parent/carer programme that teaches parents to work in a therapeutic manner with their children through instruction, demonstration of play sessions and support during home play. Parents are taught reflective listening, how to identify and respond to their child’s feelings, how to set limits and how to increase their child’s self-esteem during weekly play sessions.
Heart to Heart Programme
A 6 session programme which brings parent and child together to learn fun, gentle and child-oriented ways together to improve attachment security and build resilience.
For information or to make a referral, please contact Sarah Wilson, CYP Manager on; (01685) 353999 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In order to deliver these support programmes, Safer Merthyr Tydfil recognises the contribution, support and funding received from:
- Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council
- Rhondda Cynon Taff County Borough Council
- South Wales Police and Crime Commissioner
- The Moondance Foundation