Thanks to the ICF Community Capacity Grant Scheme our Reconnect project launched in Merthyr Tydfil on the 1st July 2018.
The aim of the project is to assist individuals aged 50+ who are lonely and isolated get “Reconnected” back into the community, building their social interaction and networks by means of interactive, group activities and opportunities to learn or share skills.
Reconnect is a mentoring project delivered by trained volunteers who offer a 12 week mentoring contract. Clients are assisted in making a plan towards specific, life changing goals via small, achievable steps. The volunteer will walk alongside the client on their journey of achievement.
- We accept self referrals and agency referrals where client consent has been given.
- Initial contact with client is made by telephone (within 3 days) and the first visit is then carried out to discuss if the project is appropriate for the client’s needs.
- A volunteer mentor is matched with the client according to skills, interests, hobbies etc so that there is a basis for engagement.
- The mentor works alongside the client on a one to one basis for a maximum of 3 months (12 weeks) and will assist the client in achieving the goals set out in the agreed plan. The mentor will assist the client to problem solve any barriers which will build self-esteem and resilience, with the aim of individuals being less dependent on services.
- As the mentoring relationship develops, trust and rapport is established, which will encourage clients to step outside their comfort zone and try new activities. The client will be supported to access groups and activities of interest.
We have set up two activity taster groups to assist our clients and encourage 50+ community members to mix more.
ü 50+ Activity Hub held in Hope Chapel Basement – Town Centre (Disabled access and facilities,) Mondays 10am-12pm where we have a wide selection of activities including; creative crafts, decoupage, card making, puzzles, pyrography, back to baking, and a seating area for a chat and a cuppa with music.
ü We have a smaller venue for the more vulnerable and shy clients, this craft group is held in Caerwern Community Hall, Ynysfach, Tuesday 1.30pm till 3.30pm.
For further information or to request a referral form, please contact the Reconnect Project Co-ordinator, Helen McShea on (01685) 353999 or email firstname.lastname@example.org